RE: An Open Letter to Michelle Obama (see the topic thread in Facebook)


I'm glad we have folks waking up to our problems with conventional food.

ONE THING that makes the defense of corn syrup as a basic foodstuff irrelevant (so far as I am concerned):

The simple fact that high fructose corn syrup is converted to fat much more readily than beet and cane sugars makes me demand the better products.

AMONG OTHER THINGS that make excessive use of U.S. conventional corn products a problem for me and the people I care about:

GMO (genetically modified organisms), Monsanto-style BT corn is worm-free (sweet corn, nearly all of the varieties that hit our conventional supermarket shelves) because it (the corn itself) is actually poisonous to eat. I actually enjoy picking worms off of our local organic corn because I know, beyond any doubt, that if the worms are alive and having a good meal so will I be.

DON'T EVEN get me started on how much fossil-fuel energy goes into conventional corn (fertilizer, pesticides, harvesting, processing & transport) - and converting it to ethanol is just an end-of-the-pipeline shell-game, a massive consumer-directed fraud, which sends BIG OIL lots of cash, all subsidized (talk about adding insult to injury) by our tax dollars.

Nuf sed?

For more about Michelle Obama
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

1 comment:

Dave Lawrence said...

http://www.chucklorre.com/index.php?p=239

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #239

TO DO LIST

Live to see a highly educated, deeply thoughtful, articulate, cool, biracial President who is not overly crippled by childhood wounds and capable, in no particular order, of freeing the nation of its oil dependence, restoring its international standing, creating universal health care, resurrecting the economy, ending two wars, rebuilding the public education system, finally bringing about an end to the mindlessness of racism, encouraging science and technology, firmly addressing environmental issues and global warming, and uniting the nation - and the world - in a giant cultural, tipping point leap forward.

Meet super-intelligent aliens who disarm the entire planet, cure every disease and take us all for rides across the galaxy.

Play a round of par golf.

Trade solos with Eric Clapton.

Win an Emmy.

Get married, stay married.

One down, five to go.
<< >>

1st Aired: 2 February 2009