Food Not Lawns - KC - OPEN GARDEN EVENT - Saturday, July 24th


http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=122561237789139

Hi all, next Saturday, July 24 from 10 am to 1 pm my garden will be open to tour, sponsored by the Garden Center Assoc.

I have long been a proponent of Food Not Lawns before I even knew about this group. I have a small urban lot where grass has been given over to fruit, veggies, various natives and perennials. Much of the front is shaded now but I used to grow food in the front and there are now a couple apple trees next to the curb. The back is where the bounty is. On the way to the back you will see a raised bed with tomatoes and squash in the driveway.

In the back garden is a cherry tree, strawberries, black raspberries, lemons and figs, mixed with native shade plants, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, beans, greens, cucumbers, various herbs and flowers. I also like to recycle curbside treasures as art or for utilitarian purposes.

The GCA has a membership of mostly middle-aged and older people who were influenced to think that a garden is ornamental and food plants should be relegated to pots or an unseen corner. I think this separation mentality has dominated American thinking even among those who plant only food. My purpose, influenced by Rosalind Creasy, is to mix this up and help show the club members another way.

This is not a new idea. In France they plant roses at the edges of wheat fields and at the ends of rows of grapes. See the Villandry website for photos of beautiful but highly maintained food gardens. Persian rug designs were based on beautiful gardens of food plants mixed with ornamentals.

or contact me.

1 comment:

Ann Flowers said...

just gone through your blog and found it wonderful. it was nice going through your blog.