BROOKSIDE - The Community Farmers Market at Brookside (KCMO) - for Market Day (SATURDAYS)

Greetings Market Friends!

http://www.farmerscommunitymarket.com/images/market_logo.gif

From our vendors:

Bread of Life

Hello Market friends,

We are now feeling the coolness of fall this week. The air is crisp and cool under our old trees as we head out to the garden and check on the chickens. The cool weather and shorter days make for less eggs that the hen lay. I guess they feel a rest time coming so their bodies adjust.
Fall is a good time for casseroles and using our Multi Grain Bread Crumbs make for a wonderful rich flavor to any casserole.The bread crumbs are great for lightly breading green tomatoes or eggplant.
Luke and Chris will have our usual breads, YUMMY pumpkin rolls, cookies, burritos,quiches,coffee and farm fresh eggs.

See you Saturday,
Luke, Chris and Kathy


Kansas City Center for Urban Agriculture

Leek soup anyone? Sweet potato pie? Stuffed peppers? Shitake and cheese omelet?
We can hook you up…with the ingredients, anyway.

Now that the weather has a chill, I’m constantly looking for something to eat. Something tasty and filling. I want spice. I want thickness and chewability. I’m willing to try new things to satisfy this craving. I want good food. I think I am not alone. We are in luck because the market runs for 4 more Saturdays inBrookside. You can always find something new at Brookside. I know I do.

At the corner KCCUA stand you will find many options for your meal planning or midnight snacking this week. We will have sweet potatoes. They’re lovely. They’re so flavorful. They’re good in a pie (I tried it myself) or mashed (tried it) or baked (tried it). We also have a few varieties of winter squash, but these are going fast. Once folks learned that you can slice and GRILL them, they have been disappearing! I wonder if you could slice and grill sweet potatoes…that one, I haven’t tried yet. The sweet peppers are ripe and ready for grill or stuffing. I have lived off these this summer along with okra straight from the field (midnight snack…no cooking necessary…great munching food and you don’t have to remember how many are in a serving as you’re watching HGTV at 3 am). Summer squash on the grill or in chocolate cake. Filet beans are perfect from a brand new crop of plants in our sunny west field. Tri-color beans are striking pretty in a delicious bean salad or sautéed and wrapped with a bow like Chef Tim Johnson prepares at the Johnson County Community College. Can you believe we have tomatoes? I just closed the high tunnels today to keep the warmth in and the cool nights out. Maybe we’ll have them a few more weeks. Because of these cool nights we’re celebrating the wonderful roots in the field right now. Baby and big boy turnips have not been as perfect since April. The beets are huge, full of color and flavor. We’ll have orange, Hercules carrots and cherry belle radishes, too. Leek bundles for soup. Scallions. Tomatillos. Hot peppers like cayenne, pepperoncini, Thai and the grand-dad of them all, the habanero. Eggplant, Herbs, Shitake Mushrooms. And greens, yes, glorious greens in the form of braising mix (aka Funky Fresh), Swiss chard bunches, kale, sweet potato greens, salad mix, lettuce mix, pea shoots, arugula, watercress, purslane and spinach! Thank to the cool evenings!

We’re bringing a new face. Cathy B from Juniper Farm! She is soooooo sweet! And knows her stuff.

See you Saturday!

Alicia


Wells Family Farms

Hi Brookside Market Folks, We are really short of meat, and this weekend is the American Royal Bar-B-Q contest at the livestock center. Our farm plus many of the wonderful vendors that we sell with who are helping to provide some goodies, and Yum Tum who came up with the idea, are going to be competing with the big guys! Oh yea! Our brisket is gonna Rock! On the down side I will not have any meat to sell until the 11th of October. So, save up for market in two weeks for your beef purchase and try to drop in to the contest. I will be down to brookside but only to pick up goodies from some of the other vendors. Have a great week, and remember for 12 dollars to get in you get to pig out on endless samples from all the booths in the competition. See ya soon, and Sharon says Hi! Later Alligator,

Kim

Blue Door

I'll second the three cheers for the cooler weather!

I remain the radish queen, with more multi-colored bunches plus a fresh crop of french breakfast radishes. Maybe it's that 1/8th german coming out in me, but I've found an oddly good snacking combo myself: lightly salted radishes, hard boiled eggs and ... beer.

What can I say, it made me happy, yah. :)

Also on the table this week:

- Chard!! - (Take that, ya darned deer)
- Kale -
- Raab - (this will be pungent, perfect for lovers of bitter greens, while another bed that is almost ready will be more mild)
- Baby pac choi - perfect for raw eating or stir fry.
- Turnips - Seriously, THIS is what they're supposed to be like - mild, beautiful little white orbs. As a bonus to turnip-purchasers I'm even throwing in some amazingly tasty, lovely greens that come attached to the turnips.
- Carmen peppers - The cool weather slows the ripening process, but I'll bring all I can.
- Yummy snacking peppers - These little orange guys sell like hotcakes, for good reason.
- Perhaps (cross your fingers) some petite little japanese eggplants.

See you Saturday!

- Laura



BROOKSIDE MARKET'S VENDOR LINKS:


Saturdays, 8am to 1pm
under the white tents at theBorder Star Montessori School
63rd & Wornall, Kansas City, MO 64113

The Farmers' Community Market at Brookside is Dedicated to Creating a Unique Partnership between the Community and Farmers who provide High Quality, Local and Organic Products in an atmosphere that is mutually beneficial, wholesome and fun.The Market also helps to support the Border Star PTA.



No comments: