With all this rain and gloominess, I am sure your bodies and souls are starved for some fantastic color and exotic flavor straight from the garden. Well, good thing it is “First Friday’” in the Crossroads and the BADSEED Farmer’s Market will be bursting with local, organic goodies, music, art, and of course: DIVINE VEGETABLES!!!!
This weeks “delights” will include:
From HOTMAMA BAKERY
- fresh baked artisan breads and crackers made with the finest organic ingredients.....and the BEST DAMN COOKIES you’ve ever tasted!
- aromatic herbs from her garden, herbal lemonades with wild flower honey, peach and strawberry tarts to die for, (and buffalo meat provided by KC Buffalo)
- homegrown veggies brought to you by the “Squash Father” himself!!!
- prepared vegan/vegetarian foods “to go” (or to be enjoyed at the market)
- Attention Mommies: an assortment of eco friendly BABY PRODUCTS including recycled and hand-made wool purses, diaper bags, and batik ring slings for carrying around your precious one. www.TeenyGreenyKC.com
- *HEIRLOOM TOMATOES****in every shape size and color!!!! Absolutely divine!
- *Sweet Italian BASIL and other culinary herbs
- *Rainbow Chard and Kale
- *Orgasmic EGGPLANT
- *Assorted Peppers (mild, medium, HOT!)
- *Heirloom Summer Squash in assorted varieties
- *FOOT-LONG CHINESE RED NOODLE BEANS!!
- *Multicolored CARROTS and BEETS
- *and many more “scrumptious jewels” from the dirt.......
- *the best EGGS ever
- *Local GOAT CHEESE in fresh and aged varieties from Goatsbeard Farm (www.goatsbeardfarm.com)
And thats not all:
HERITAGE FARMS (who provides me with those luscious yolks) will be at the market with FRESH MOZZARELLA!!! (see our featured recipe as follows)
Orders will be taken for organic poultry, natural pork, and raw milk from their lovely green pastures in Cameron, MO. All orders can be picked up at BADSEED the following Wednesday.
OK, this weeks recipe captures the essence of summer. It is simple and light screaming with farm-fresh flavor:
- 3 BADSEED FARM HEIRLOOM TOMATOES, 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 pound HERITAGE FARMS fresh mozzarella, 1/4-inch thick slices
- 20 to 30 leaves (about 1 bunch) BADSEED basil
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling (optional)
- Coarse salt and pepper
So, come hang out with some crazy farmers this Friday from 4:30 - 9 pm and enjoy live music by JAZZBO.......the one man band with the most (you gotta check this guy out)!
Bring the kids, tour the neighborhood gallery openings, fill your bellies with local foods, and make an evening out of it!
We look forward to feeding you. See you FRIDAY
Brooke (farmer and mistress of the BADSEED